If you are a cellphone addict?

As terms like 'signal seeker', 'human antenna' and 'nomophobia' become a part of our tech-dependent life, is distance from the mobile the only way to keep the doctor away?

You step into the basement, the network signal goes weak, and you feel drops of sweat trickling down the back of your neck. It's way past midnight and you're up every hour to check for a missed call or an unread message. A low cash balance reminder on your cell gives you a headache. Sounds familiar ?

If your answer's yes, you're probably technology's latest victim. And, what's more, your tech addiction may actually pave the way for a trip to the doc! Read on to know if you're already in the danger zone.
Wrong signal
 
Wrong signal
 
A class XII student, Payal Kumar, says, "I start worrying if the mobile signal is weak." IT executive Nitin Arora's story's no different. "When a signal bar goes missing it's enough to make me nervous," he says.
 
But, Nitin has a solution up his sleeve - he just holds his phone at a height. However, Faith Gonsalves, 21, says that she panics for all the right reasons. "I'm most worried about safety, especially when I'm out alone," she says. 
 
Lost and found
But that's not all. Says Deepti Kapoor, a homemaker, "The thought of misplacing a mobile is stressful and agitating. The day I couldn't find a mobile in my bag, I was very scared." And, she's not alone. "People can't think of life without a mobile, anymore. And, the moment they realise that they've either forgotten their charger or their mobile at home, they panic.
 
They suffer from disturbance and helplessness," says Dr Adarsh Kohli, additional professor of clinical psychology, PGI, Chandigarh. 
 
Ringing syndrome
 
Payal talks about another habit - "I keep staring at my mobile when I'm expecting a call." And, then there are some who imagine their phone is ringing or vibrating! Nishi Sharma, a first-year student of literature, is a victim of the 'phantom ring' or 'phantom vibration'. "I usually imagine my phone to be ringing when I'm at a crowded place or when I'm sleeping," she says.
 
Graphic designer Tabrez Ali's problem is more peculiar. "I bought a new mobile phone a couple of months back, but I still keep hearing my old phone's ringtone," says the 24-year-old. And then, there are other sounds that grow on us. Tathagata Ray, a third-year student, confesses that he can't imagine a day without the sound of his mobile keypad. 
 
What's the solution?
 
But, is there a solution to it all? Switch off your phones, suggests Aritra Hore, who works for an NGO. "Switching off or just being away from the mobile can be a relieving experience," opines Aritra.
 
An IT executive, Pooja Midha vouches for the same. "I try switching off my phone for just an hour every second day, and it relaxes me no end. Though, initially, I would look at the watch for the hour to end, now I am comfortable doing that," she says. 
 
Are you a victim too?
 
Check out if you too are showing any of the following warning signals.
 
Nomophobia: The fear of being out of mobile phone contact. It's the abbreviation for 'no-mobile-phone phobia.' It could be a result of low battery, broken phone, a no-cellphones-allowed sign, no signal, low balance, etc.
 
Phantom Ring: Imagining the mobile to be ringing or feel it vibrating in the pocket, when it's actually not.
Pocket Patter: Patting your pockets to check if the mobile is still there.
 
Human Antenna: Stretching your arm to hold the phones at a height in the hope that it'll get the strongest signal. Source:Indiatimes Infotech
 

No comments: